Abbreviated Curriculum Vitae
This CV lists the main degrees and academic positions I have held.
- Doctor of Information Science by the Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, for her Ph.D. thesis on Hypertext Literature, 2001. The thesis was awarded the summa cum laude distinction.
- Licenciatura (5-yrs, MA equivalent) in Information Sciences by the Complutense University of Madrid, Spain.
- Licenciatura (5 yrs, MA equivalent) in Philology by the UNED University, Spain.
Academic Positions held
- Associate Professor at the IT University of Copenhagen, where she is a member of the Culture and Communication research group and the Computer Games research group. (from nov 2004, current position).
- Head of DDK (Digital Design and Communication) Study Program at the IT University of Copenhagen (2006-2011)
- Assistant Professor at the Department of Digital Aesthetics and Communication at the ITU (nov 2001- oct 2004).
- Senior Lecturer in Electronic Publishing and Electronic Text at Oxford Brookes University, UK (2000-2001).
- Research position/Phd scholarship (FPI National Program) in the Universidad Complutense de Madrid funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education (1997-2000).
Visiting Scholar Stays at other Universities
- Stay as a visiting scholar in Brown University, USA, (Autumn 1998).
- Stay as a visiting scholar in the Computing Humanities Unit of Oxford University, UK, (Autumn 1999).
- Stay as a visiting scholar at the James Joyce Foundation, Zürich, Switzerland, (Spring 2000).
- Stay as a visiting scholar at Texas A&M University, USA (Summer 2000).
Distinctions and Committees
- She received the Nelson Award, given by ACM to the best newcomer paper in the conference Hypertext 2000, for her paper "A Pragmatics of Links", June 2000.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Conferences: ACM Hypertext (99, 00, 01, 02, 03); AACE WebNet (99, 00, 01); DAC (01, 03), WWW/Internet 2002, CGDC 02.
- Member of the Literary Advisory Board of ELO, the Electronic Literature Organization. She served as reviewer for the 2001 ELO Prize.
Past Funded Projects
Please see current projects under "Activities"
- Member of the ODDPAW project, "Open-Source Design and Development of Persistent Game Worlds", funded by the Danish Forskningsstyrelsen (2004-2006).
- Member of the LaCoMoCo project at ITU (2003-2005).
- Member of research project "Discourse units and the Rhetoric of the different Media" (1998-2001), funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education, as digital text specialist.
- Member of EU-research project "TEECH-in Transactive Exploration of European Cultural Heritage - in Intercultural Teams" (2000-2001), as hypertext and digital education consultant.
- Member of EU-research project (Leonardo da Vinci Program) nº LV/99/2/09046/PI/II.1.1.c/CONT "Intellectual Property Management Training in Electronic Publishing: Bringing Traditional Media into Multimedia Environments", as evaluator and validator representing Oxford Brookes University (2001).
- Research project on Nazi Propaganda Strategies in the Department of Social Communication History of the Complutense University of Madrid, funded by the same University (1994/95).
- Co-founder and editor in the first international academic journal on computer games, Gamestudies.
- Hypertext theme editor, JoDI, Journal of Digital Information, University of Southampton, UK. She has edited two special issues: "Hypertext Criticism", 2001, and “Hypertext Criticism: Writing about Hypertext, 2003.
- Editor of the Internet web-site: HIPERTULIA, a forum dedicated to hypertextual theory and hypertext fiction (from November 1997)
- She has worked in the first Spanish on-line literary magazine since its foundation in year 1996, Espéculo.
- External evaluator for ENAE project (2003).
- Experience as external evaluator for University Courses and grant programmes.
- Experience as digital text consultant for various publishing houses in Spain.
Susana is also a literary author. Before earning her Ph.D., she worked as freelance reader, editor and translator for several Spanish publishing houses. Even earlier, she worked in PR, journalism and teaching English to primary school and high school children.